- Using the site
- Searching for images
There is a search box at the top right of each HTML page on the Natural World and the Places of Worship sites.
You can enter a simple search here, or you can use the pages.
The site specific FAQ pages describe the search syntax.
The main each contain a set of images for a specific sub-group of creatures or places of worship.
There are also a few member created galleries.
Each of these may contain some textual pages with or without images, and may have one or more photo galleries.
- Systematic pages
The pages are a set of index pages that link to pages containing all of the images for a specific creature or place of worship.
- Images on Gallery and Systematic pages
You can then go to the next or previous image using the arrow keys.
If you key a square-bracket ([ or ]) the image will be flipped horizontally.
To close the image simply click on it.
- Images on other pages
- Why register?
Registering allows you to:
- upload photos;
- create personal photo galleries and some gallery pages;
- set personal viewing preferences;
- comment upon and rate photos, and see what comments and ratings have been added to your photos;
- view a gallery of your favourite photos;
- view a gallery of images you have recently viewed;
- access viewing statistics for your photos;
- restrict searches to a subset of the photo collection, for example just lepidoptera;2
- put comments in the site guestbook with your login id attached so that site staff and other registered users can respond;
- maintain personal creature checklists;
- Copyright and using images from the site
- Do I retain ownership of the copyright to images I load?
Yes, loading a photo onto the site has no effect on copyright ownership.
It is a requirement of this site that all photos you load are covered by the copyright statement set-up when you registered and as subsequently updated by you.
- What restrictions are there on downloading images or copying them to other sites?
If you wish to do this then you must first obtain permission from the copyright owner -
see our Copyright page.
- Can I reference images on this site from other sites?
We cannot guarantee that an image will not be deleted at some future date.
However if we are aware of its use we will do our best to keep it available for reference after it has been deleted from direct access on the site.
The options available, using image 13782 on our Natural World site as an example:
If you want to refer to a page showing all the images of a specific creature, plant, or building please refer to the appropriate Systematic page.
All of the URLs shown above that start with
http://www.eimagesite.net/s1/ must be changed to start with
http://www.eimagesite.net/s2/ for images on our Places of Worship site.
- Creative Commons
- What about Creative Commons licences and Public Domain?
When a user registers, he/she sets up a standard copyright notice for all their images. This can be changed at any time to or from Creative Commons licencing, or even Public Domain
using the copyright change feature of Member Services.
Additionally individual images may be assigned a different licence status.
There is also the option to specify Believed Public Domain and Public Domain for individual images.
- My photo galleries
- How do I create a photo gallery?
Click on , then on .
Use to create the introductory text and to make the initial image selection for the gallery.
Use to refine the image selection and to modify the introductory text.
Use to build, or rebuild a gallery.
Use the arrow buttons and
to move a gallery within the index.
- How do I make my photo galleries visible?
You need to create a personal gallery, click on .
Read the Help page for details of how to create personal gallery pages.
%MGAL0% tag will produce a link to your photo gallery and your personal gallery pages can be accessed from the
- What happens if I delete a photo that is in one of my photo galleries?
The thumbnail will be replaced by an Image does not exist message, rebuild the gallery to remove the reference.
- Why don't my latest photos appear in my gallery?
You need to rebuild the gallery, you may need to amend the selection criteria or the list of selected photos first.
- My photos
- What photos can I load onto the site?
You may load photos which fall into the following categories and do not break our
- Background photos for use in your Photo Gallery, or in your personal gallery;
- Photos of Places of Worship, churches, mosques, etc.;
- Nature photos of wild, captive, or domestic animals and plants; not landscapes or other general subjects, and no portraits of people;
All non-background photos must be associated with either a place of worship, or one or more plants or animals.
Failure to do this will mean that most searches will fail to find the photo
and the photo will not appear on any of our
Only JPEG format files can be uploaded.
If a photo is deemed inappropriate or offensive then the photo will be deleted, the submitting member may be barred from using some,
or all, registered user facilities.
- Will EXIF data in my photos be used?
If your photos contain IPTC data and you specify that EXIF data should be displayed,
IPTC fields Headline, Caption, DateCreated, and City will be used
(if present) to complete empty input fields Title, Details, Date Taken, and Location.
Note that the IPTC field DateCreated will only be used if it is in yyyymmdd format (with or without separators).
- Will my photo be modified in any way?
Embedded EXIF and control data is stripped from the photo before it is stored.
Current copyright data is embedded into the photo,
and a frame surround showing the copyright statement is added to the photo when it is displayed.
When a photo is uploaded, its size is checked and a new version may be created if certain limits are exceeded.
We reserve the right to delete the original version when this happens.
- Why don't my latest photos appear in searches?
You need to edit the photo from the page.
Set the status to
Gallery and attach an object to the photo
- click on
to open a new browser tab/window where you can search our database the subject shown in your photo.
- Why don't my latest photos appear on the Systematic pages?
The Systematic pages are static pages that are rebuilt by jobs that run to a daily schedule,
your new photos or changes will normally appear within 48 hours.
- Why don't my latest photos appear in the site galleries?
The site galleries are static pages that are rebuilt by jobs that run to a daily schedule,
your new photos or changes will normally appear within ten days.
- Am I allowed to load the same photos onto other sites?
Yes you can, the only restrictions we impose relate to the copies held on eimagesite.net.
- Are there any limits or restrictions on the number or size of photos?
There are no restrictions on the number or the size of photos you hold on the site.
However, we reserve the right to impose limits at some future date.
Smaller copies will be generated of photos that exceed certain size limits, visitors can then select which version to view.
The limits are:
We recommend that you restrict the image size to no more than 1200 x 800 pixels,
this is normally adequate for screen display whilst limiting the quality should anybody decide to print the photo.
- longest side 899 pixels;
- shortest side 579 pixels;
- file size 200KB;
- My personal gallery
- What can I do with my personal gallery?
A personal gallery allows you to present selected photos together with descriptive text,
to provide a tailored search form, to provide access to your photo galleries, etc.
You can view the existing galleries on the Natural World site from the
- How do I create my personal gallery?
Click on to go to the editor.
A help page explains the process.
- My profile
- What can I do with my profile?
Your profile contains various controls that determine how the web-site pages are presented,
and the basic details about who you are and contact details.1
Things that you can change include:
- your copyright statement, it can be a link to another web-site;
- whether or not other members to e-mail you, for example to request permission to use one of your photos;
- the e-mail address we use to communicate with you;
- whether or not searches will use a sub-set of the photos on the Natural World site;2
- the order in which search results are presented;2
- how many rows and columns appear on pages of thumbnail images;
- the font size of displayed text;
- whether photos are to be expanded in situ, or in a new browser tab/window;3
- which photos are to be included in your favourite photos gallery;
- Data security
- Can my photos be stolen?
We cannot stop someone from taking a copy of your photo.
However, the quality of the photo will always be less than the quality of the version that you submitted.
If you crop the original image, re-size it, and save it as less than perfect JPEG, you can make it useless for printing.
- Is my personal data safe?
We hold your e-mail address and password in an encrypted form.
Your e-mail address is never displayed and is only used to send you an e-mail.
You may be sent an e-mail by a member of site staff or, if you permit it, by a registered user using a form on the site.
When you first register, change your e-mail address, change your password, or request your password,
the system may send an e-mail to the e-mail address we hold (and to the old address when you change it).
All e-mails are monitored by site staff and any message whose content is deemed inappropriate or offensive
may result in the submitting member being barred from using some, or all, registered user facilities.
If you receive notification of a change to e-mail address or a request for password which you did not initiate,
send us an e-mail at and we will investigate the matter.
Your membership may be suspended while things are sorted out, and we may change your login id.
- Is the site securely backed up?
We, and our hosting ISP, back-up all data on the site on a regular basis and a master copy of the site software used is held elsewhere.
We have carried out a full site recovery, and we regularly perform full database restores from current backups on our development site.
- - we never give out e-mail addresses or any other contact details, we only use location details for demographic purposes.
- - this can be overridden on the search forms.
- - this currently applies to Systematic pages and to personal photo galleries.