First Church of Christ in New Haven, New Haven
250 Temple Street, 06511
Known as Center Church on the Green.
Founded in 1639, the original building was replaced by the current structure, built in 1812. A companion cemetery contains graves from the 17th century. During the Amistad incident in the mid 19th century, the congregation of this church was particularly instrumental in gaining support for the Africans, who were being held in the New Haven Jail. The property is a National Historic Landmark.
The New Haven Crypt located under the church is open to visitors for tours of tombstones dating back to 1687, including Benedict Arnold's first wife.
Add an entry about this building to our guestbook
|Image 2979 1982-02-10|
Center Church, New Haven Green
All Images supplied by Hugh J Griffiths
Images updated 2017-09-15 16:00+00:00.
|Next in country: Old Mission - 2201 Laguna Street, 93105, Santa Barbara|
Software: v5.8.62c21,cmd67k24,d66a26,db66i28,cmh68a29,h68a29,u68b20,cmut66j24,s68a08,en62k13,a67f29 page